Not the most exciting of grain bills or hopping but it makes a bloody lovely session bitter.
I'm posting it again because there were a couple of brewing firsts for me in this batch. My first time with gypsum added to the mash and my first mega clear first runnings.
The gypsum was a guesstimate as I hadn't received my water analysis from the water company so I chucked a tablespoon in.
So, Brewday: 4th June 2012
Brew length 25 litres.
Target OG: 1042
Target FG: 1,010
Mash liquor: 11 litres
Total liquor: 38 litres
Maris Otter: 4,171g
Pale crystal: 101g
Flaked wheat: 150g
Hops. (Adjusted from first batch for different alpha acids)
Target: 12.66%AA 25g 90 mins
Fuggles: 3.81%AA 20g 30 mins
EKG: 5.85%AA 13g 10 mins
Flameout and cool to 75C steep for 30 mins
EKG: 5.85%AA 31g
Fuggles: 3.81%AA 31g
Safale SO4 - rehydrated and starter made with 150ml first wort runoff
750ml first wort runoff boiled down to 300ml to caramelize and added at 10 mins from end of boil.
|Obligatory dull grain shot|
|In case the grain shot was too dull, here's a Star Destroyer instead.|
|2 litres run off to clear the bits and this started flowing from the mash tun. Clearest yet, I don't think it'll get clearer than this.|
|Caramelizing 750ml first wort - it reduced to 300ml|
|Blah blah hops, rolling boil etc|
|Break formed in the caramelized wort - I didn't see this happen first time I tried this technique|
|Aroma hops steeping at 75C for 30 mins - Temp dropped to 62C during the steep.|
|Break shite settling|
|Bang on 1042 OG and 25 litres ran off to the FV|
I tested this yesterday, the gravity was down to 1,012 and the sample is tasting very close to batch 1. I might yet decide to dry hop when I rack it off to secondary.